What is Porex ?
Porex® is a membrane which cut off size varies from 0.1 to 0.01 microns, It works on physical filtration principle and it has many application like:
- Semiconductor process
- Metal finishing
- Lime softening
- R.O Reclaim
- Dewatering Oil
One of the application finds in the treatment of effluent that is generated from electroplating industries.
Electroplating industries effluent contain heavy metals ( Pb, Zn, Cr, Cn, Cu, Ni, Fe and Cd) which are needed to be treated before discharge because heavy metals are carcinogenic in nature. They are produced as a result of a chemical used in plating baths their rinsing and drag out.
- These metals ions are carcinogenic and can disturb the body functions:
- Nickel – Can do damage in DNA, Highly phytotoxic.
- Zinc – Anemia, Lack of Muscular coordination, Abdominal pain etc.
- Chromium – Irritation of gastrointestinal mucosa, even Death.
- We need to treat this wastewater prior to discharge in any water body or land. In that’s case porex system gives good result.
In Conventional water treatment we add chemical or increase the pH of the system so that metal ions can precipitate and flocculate then we feed in a settling tank, This separation due to gravity has some disadvantages.
- Chemical reaction Tank
- Flocculation Tank
- Neutralizer tank
- Primary filter
Conventional technology has some disadvantage.
- Large Area required.
- Longer Settling time required.
- Possibilities of the unsettled metal precipitates to re-dissolve in water once the pH is taken below 9 to neutralize.
- Very difficult to remove all metals ions.
- Difficult in operation
. POREX® system overcomes all these disadvantages.
How Porex work?
First, we have to increase the pH so that metal ions can form a metal hydroxide.
- For that, we add different chemicals to raise the pH and assist metal hydroxide formation.
- Metal hydroxides having very Low Ksp, can precipitate in water so we can easily remove them by separation.
- The membrane filtration process separates the suspended solids from the liquid.
- The high suspended solids are constantly bled into a sludge tank and then into a filter press.
- The filtrate is then recycled back into the POREX® feed.
Wastewater is continuously fed at or above pH 11. POREX® can take feed water pH from 0 to 14.
- The suspended solids concentration can be fed upto 18%.
- The required surface velocity and high flux rate can be obtained because of the tubular configuration of membranes.
- Cut of size varied from 0.1 – 0.01 microns, that’s why we don’t require clarifier after a POREX® system.
- Permeate water is ready for reuse (Depends on requirement), not just for discharge.
- Less space required and easy system expansion is possible, often by simply adding more membrane modules.
- No polymer addition is required.
- Fully automatic operation.
- Removal efficiency and quality of water outlet are excellent.